Holiday Shipping Information: Order early to ensure your packages arrive in time!
West Coast: Wednesday, December 14th at 3:00pm EST
Midwest & South: Friday, December 16th at 3:00pm EST
East Coast: Tuesday, December 20th at 3:00pm EST
Holiday Order Cutoff Dates—Expedited Shipping
3 Day Air: Monday, December 19th at 1:00pm EST
2 Day Air: Tuesday, December 20th at 1:00pm EST
Next Day Air: Wednesday, December 21st at 1:00pm EST
Our goal is to get your order to you as quickly as possible. Our normal processing time is 2–3 business days before an order is packed and shipped from our warehouse. Our shipping charges are based on the final weight of your package. The delivery method will depend on your location. We use a combination of USPS and UPS services to deliver our orders.
Enjoy FREE STANDARD SHIPPING on all orders.
Alaska, Hawaii, APO, and FPO Shipping
We ship Priority Mail to Alaska and Hawaii, APOs, and FPOs unless you prefer a different carrier. Rates are based on published Priority Mail rates.
Calculating Your Shipping Cost
To estimate your order weight, a half-pound package may contain approximately four 50-gram skeins, and one pound is approximately eight 50-gram skeins. Most packages above two pounds are shipped in boxes which do contribute to the final package weight. Note that our website does not calculate shipping amounts for orders over 60 pounds. The shipping amount you see during checkout for these orders is an estimate and may be adjusted after checkout.
All shipping will be charged on gross weight, so if you are calculating your own shipping, please add some weight for boxes and packing material. To calculate your shipping cost, find your estimated package weight in the chart below.
If you pay by check, we will refund overages and bill shortages.
Canada and Worldwide Shipping
We ship by U.S. Postal Service internationally unless you would prefer a different carrier. We primarily ship Airmail unless you would prefer Parcel Post. We ship orders under 4 pounds by First Class Mail International and packages over 4 pounds by Priority Mail International. Charges will be based on published USPS rates. Shipping charges for international orders will automatically calculate during checkout. Check USPS.com for the latest rates.
Generally, international orders can take 2–4 weeks to be delivered. Delivery time depends on the destination. Please contact Customer Service for a more specific estimate.
Note for international orders: String is not responsible for any duty or charges incurred at the destination country.
Our normal processing time is 2–3 business days before an order is packed and shipped from our warehouse. We do our best to ship within this timeframe, but if you need faster shipping options, we do provide Next Day Air, Second Day Air, and Three Day Air through UPS. You can select one of these options during checkout for an additional cost. Expedited orders placed before 12pm Eastern Time will be shipped same day. Expedited orders placed after 12pm Eastern Time will be shipped the following day.
UPS does not ship on Saturday and Sunday, so orders placed close to the weekend will only be shipped on business days. For example, an order placed on Saturday using Next Day Air will be delivered on Tuesday.
If you have a drop-dead date for which you need to receive an order, please contact Customer Service for the most accurate advice on how to ensure that your will receive your order in time.
We try not use extra packaging when shipping your order but we do want your special purchase to get to you beautifully so we wrap most purchases in recycled paper. We will protect needles and other fragile items with bubble wrap and/or cardboard. If you would like your yarn wrapped in plastic (we’ll reuse plastic bags from our suppliers to do it), please note that you would like your yarn wrapped in plastic in the special instructions section of our website during checkout and we’ll be happy to take care of it for you.
Store Pickup - Store Pickup options will be temporarily unavailable until our store reopens.
Here are a few guidelines to be aware of if you’re choosing the Store Pickup option:
- Please allow 2–3 business days from the time you place the order for it to be completed and ready for pickup. Orders placed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be processed on Monday. When your order is processed and ready to pick up, you will receive a confirmation phone call or email.
- If you call to make a change to your order, it may delay when your order is ready for pickup.
- As with all orders placed online, your order will be charged when it is filled. A complete invoice will accompany your purchase.
- Occasionally we will be unable to fill your order with a single dye lot. We will contact you if we have a mixed lot and inform you of the options for completing your order.
- If an item is backordered, we will pick and charge what we have in stock and contact you when the backordered items arrive. If the item is sold out, we will pick the rest of the order and contact you for substitutions.
- If you want to do more shopping when you come into pick up your order, we will add any discounts to your in-store purchase that may apply.
- We now offer Store Pickup at two locations: WEBS - America’s Yarn Store in Northampton, MA and String Yarns in New York, NY. Orders picked up at WEBS are usually available within 1–1½ business days. Orders picked up at String Yarns are usually available within 2–3 business days.
All prices are subject to change without notice.
Please see our return policy page.